Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Merle



She always bounces into a room and greets everyone in sight. I've known her since I first came here, she was one of the first people to come up to me when I ventured into a place I did not know looking to connect with someone.



This past weekend over pizza and salad I got to listen to her talk more than usual.



" When did you first come here?"



" 1962...in a snowstorm, it was one of the worst snowstorms in awhile."



" I met this nice spanish dancer in Toronto who said that if I ever came to New York I could stay with her. So when I arrived, I got in the cab and gave the driver the address. He turned and looked at me and said 'Are you sure you want to go there?' I said yes, my friend lives there."



" So we are driving up through East Harlem and he says again 'Are you sure this where you want to go?' I told him yes and that started it."



" I met my husband at a party, a little later on he said 'Do you want to move in together?' And I said ' You mean get married?'. He replied 'Ah, sure why not?"



You can read more about Merle here. She is quite an amazing lady.

1 comment:

Bucko said...

Love the article on Merle and the Chelsea Hotel. And also how she can live without looking at every step before her in fear, but trusting that her foot will find its place.